Hay Fever Tips & Tricks
As the warmer weather signals the arrival of summer, for hay fever suffers it also signals the start of itchy eyes, sneezing, a runny nose and a whole host of symptoms. Hay fever also known as allergic rhinitis, affects millions of people across the UK. It’s usually worse during late March & September. Pollen count is at its highest when its warm, humid and windy.
Understanding hay fever
Hay fever season tends to vary every year due to environmental factors such as pollen levels and weather conditions. This year it is predicted that increased pollen counts, longer flowering seasons and changing climate patterns will contribute to heightened allergy symptoms.
Hay fever can sometimes feel like you have a cold and make your day miserable. If you are unsure speak to one of our pharmacists.
What treatments are available
There are several treatments to manage, treat and prevent hay fever symptoms getting worse and improve your hay fever experience, allowing you to enjoy the warmer weather. These include:
- Nasal sprays
- Eye drops
These products effectively target and relieve the most common symptoms of hay fever.
How can a pharmacy help me?
Visit your local Day Lewis Pharmacy, and our team can help guide you with selecting the most appropriate products for your needs. With our help you can find the perfect solution to combat sneezing, itching, congestion, and watery eyes.
What can I do daily to ease my symptoms
Here are some tips and tricks to help ease your symptoms.
- Put Vaseline around the entrance of your nostril to trap pollen.
- Shower and change your clothes after being outdoors to wash the pollen off.
- Keep windows and doors shut as much as possible.
- Try and vacuum regularly and dust with a damp cloth.
- Cut grass or walk on it.
- Spend excessive time outside.
- Avoid smoking or being around smoke as it makes symptoms worse.
- Don’t dry your clothes outside – as they can catch pollen