How do you treat hay fever?
Although there is no cure for hay fever, and there is nothing you can do to prevent it, there are a number of things you can try to treat your symptoms – especially when the pollen count is high.
To relieve your hay fever symptoms yourself, you should:
- Stay indoors if you can
- Keep your doors and windows closed
- Keep your home clean by vacuuming regularly and dusting with a damp cloth
- Have a shower and change your clothes after you have been outside
- Wear wraparound sunglasses to prevent pollen from getting into your eyes
- Install a pollen filter in your car’s air vents
- Apply Vaseline around your nostrils – this can help trap the pollen
You can also speak to the qualified pharmacists at Day Lewis Pharmacy about effective over-the-counter treatments that are available to you, including:
- hay fever tablets
- nasal sprays
- eye drops
We can help you find a hay fever medicine that can target and soothe your symptoms.
Our team can also provide prescription hay fever medication. Simply take your prescription to your local Day Lewis Pharmacy and one of our team members will be happy to assist you.
Is it hay fever or a cold?
Sometimes it is difficult to differentiate between a cold and hay fever. Typically, a cold lasts for up to 2 weeks whereas hay fever symptoms can persist on and off for weeks or months.
If you are finding that over-the-counter hay fever medication is not working for you, our pharmacist can provide alternative suitable medications, such as a different hay fever tablet.
Our pharmacy team can talk to you and provide advice on other preventative measures to help combat hay fever and manage your symptoms, find your local Day Lewis Pharmacy here.