After you arrive
- Change your sleep schedule to the new time zone as quickly as possible
- Avoid oversleeping in the morning
- Go outside during the day – natural light will help your body clock adjust
- Avoid napping in the day. Stick to one sleep at night
Symptoms of jet lag
The main symptoms of jet lag are:
- Difficulty sleeping at bedtime and waking up in the morning
- Tiredness and exhaustion
- Difficulty staying awake during the day
- Poor sleep quality
- Concentration and memory problems
Jet lag can also sometimes cause dizziness, indigestion, nausea, constipation, changes in appetite and mild anxiety.
Melatonin is one of the main hormones involved in making you sleep and has been shown to effectively shift the circadian clock, especially when travelling east.
Your Day Lewis pharmacist may be able to offer you this treatment privately.
For more information speak to your local Day Lewis Pharmacy team today.