Symptoms of nicotine withdrawal:
When you stop smoking its normal for your body to experience nicotine withdrawal, these symptoms include:
- Bad moods
- Feeling irritable
- Difficulty concentrating
- Trouble sleeping
- Feeling hungrier than normal
- Feeling anxious, sad or depressed
Where can I get NRT and how can I use it?
NRT can be purchased from your local Day Lewis Pharmacy or can be available on prescription. It is available in many forms:
- Skin patches
- Chewing gum
- Nasal or mouth spray
What are the side effects of NRT?
Some of the side effects of NRT include:
- Skin irritation when using patches
- Irritation of nose, throat or eyes when using nasal spray
- Difficulty sleeping
- Upset stomach
What happens when I stop smoking?
Stopping smoking can have immediate positive effects on your body and its repairing.
- 20 minutes: your pulse rate starts to return to normal
- 8 hours: your oxygen levels in your blood are recovering
- 48 hours: carbon monoxide will be eliminated from your body and your lungs start to clear out smoking debris. Your ability to taste and smell improves
- 72 hours: breathing becomes easier. Your energy levels rise
- 2-12 weeks: your circulation improves
- 3-9 months
:lung function increases by up to 10%, making breathing easier
- 1 year: your risk of heart disease, heart attacks and strokes will be halved compared to a smoker
- 10 years: risk oflung cancer falls to half that of a smoker
- 15 years: risk of heart attack falls to the same as someone who has never smoked
If you want to start your journey then speak to your local Day Lewis Pharmacy team today.