Symptoms of yellow fever (usually appear 3-6 post infection):
- Loss of appetite
- Sensitivity to light
- Feeling dizzy
More severe symptoms of yellow fever include:
- Bleeding from mouth, nose, eyes or ears
- Vomiting blood
How to prevent yellow fever:
There are additional precautions you can take to avoid being bitten.
- Use high strength insect repellent and keep the body covered as much as possible
- use a mosquito net over the bed
- treat clothing with mosquito repellent containing permethrin
- we recommend recording all travel dates to be able to detect symptoms post travel
Is there a vaccine for yellow fever?
There is a vaccine that can stop you from contracting yellow fever if you are travelling to an area where the infection is prevalent. As there is no cure for yellow fever, it is highly recommended to get vaccinated before travelling.
You will only need a single dose of the yellow fever vaccine as it is thought to provide lifelong protection.
When do I need to get the yellow fever vaccination?
You must have a yellow fever vaccine at least 10 days before you travel.
When you have had the vaccine, you should be issued with an International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis which is valid for life.